Saturday 12 January 2013

Loutro



Loutro is a peaceful village on the south west coast of Crete that is only accessible by boat or on foot






Loutro viewed from the cliffs above



The cemetery sits above the village



The coastline is treacherous and inhospitable but it is possible to walk over or around the headland from the neighbouring bay which is also only accessible by boat or on foot unless you are prepared to drive 10 kilometres virtually all off-road. Actually a bit of a roller coaster and a lot of fun if you are not scared of heights.


The little chapels built at strategic intervals along the coast give time to reflect


This is the view down to the coast where we drive to the bay top left of the picture.



Another church in the rocks below


A rare tree hugging the hillside


Another view of the cemetery



There are thousands of goats on these mountainsides





10 comments:

  1. I love the reflection of the water on the boat!
    ... One more thing; I'd like to follow your blog, but you haven't made any of those buttons available. Also, I had that prove you're not a bot thing up, and it just proved to be a pain in the butt. I tried to leave a comment earlier in the week from my iPod, but once I got to the part where I had to write what I saw, it became so frustrating I canceled the comment. JUst thought you might like to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dar, thank you very much for your comment.
    I am sorry the blog was not set up correctly, I hope I have changed it to be more user friendly.
    I am not sure how to set it up to allow followers but I will work on it. Thanks so much for alerting me, I am rather new to this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the photos and reading your descriptions. It's so wonderful to have that back, Celia :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the photos and reading your descriptions. It's so wonderful to have that back, Celia :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so grateful that you inspired me to get involved it is so much fun creating these collages again. OK not quite as user friendly as Tabblo but it is certainly very good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Celia, Loutro is so enchanting! Thanks so much for choosing such beautiful photos to introduce the place to us! I loved the boats, the bay, the goat, the churches, etc. You have built the show with white and blue – the colors of beautiful Greece!
    Fabio

    ReplyDelete
  7. After the loss of two comments that were ready to be posted, I will write the next comments first with a word processor, and only then I will post the comment to the blog. Just to share my experience with our friends, Celia. Thanks so much for your hard work to replace Tabblo!
    Fabio

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems that it is more difficult to leave a comment here than on Tabblo but thank you so much for taking the time to do so Fabio.
    I remember when I made Cretan Tabblos in the past, I would invariably choose a blue background and as you say it really is the colour of Greece and seems to work well for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for the photos, they have a very special meaning for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anon, I am so glad you enjoyed the photos from the beautiful village of Loutro. Thank you so much for taking the time to write a comment, it is much appreciated.

      Delete